Wednesday, February 20, 2008

Total Eclipse of the Heart

The last lunar eclipse until 2010 happened today. Upon reflection, 2010 is only 2 years away, but still, I'm glad I got to catch a few glimpses of it before it dissipated into the annals. We spoke more of Danik the Dashboard genie and his kooky antics today during dinner at the Thai Orchid. I had forgotten how good the food was and it pleasantly suprised me when the cashew chicken I ordered had a bite not soon forgotten. There are a lot of events which transpired within the previous weeks; most importantly Michelle being in and out of jail. Matt and I went to visit her last weekend and plan to do the same this weekend, time and weather permitting. The whole situation has me thinking about the choices I've made in my life and made me ponder to what lengths I would go to to help friends or family in dire need. I'm glad my grandparents had the economic means to bail her out and help her get her life turned around, but in the end the decision is hers. Unfortunately, she is a chronic bad-decision maker, so it is unknown if this time will make a difference or not. If it doesn't I'm doubtful there's anything more that can be done for her, she will dig her own grave. Sorry for the somewhat somber tone of this post, me, but these are thoughts and feelings I will be glad to have off my chest. I've begun reading "Deus Irae" and it's interesting to me for many reasons. I've been on a novel hiatus, and moreso a PKD hiatus, so jumping back into his bizarre mindset and writing style was jarring, to say the least. It didn't take long for me to recognize the classic PKD structure and hunker down for a good read, so I got to it. The story involves a quadrapalegic man named Tibor McMasters, sent by the church of the god of wrath to find the god himself, in human form, view his true face, and paint a mural for the church. It's got the post-apocalyptic atmosphere, the mutant freaks inhabiting the post-war landscape and their ritualistic ways, and a character who questions the very nature of reality, very standard for PKD. I plan on finishing within the month so I can send it back to Mr. Negley at some point before he moves to Jersey. Well, I think I'm done typing, so goodbye, sweet internet, goodbye.

No comments: